Welcome to The Woodlands Academy
The Woodlands Academy is an Academy for children with a range of Special Needs and Disabilities. Our aim is to prepare our students for the challenges of the 21st Century.
For some students this will mean a working independent life and for others there will be planned dependency with as much independence as their needs allow.
Our aim is for children to develop into, confident, happy, positive young people. We will ensure we understand each unique individual and their needs. Personalised planned pathways support every child in their progression.
We have a strong pastoral structure built on a caring philosophy which nurtures positive relationships through high expectations and supported challenge. We work holistically to develop student’s resilience, mature behaviour, responsibility and independence.
We ensure students are supported to gain knowledge and respect of their own culture and we strongly encourage children to regard all faiths, races and cultures with respect.
Academic success and progress is valued at all levels of performance and the classroom focus is on achievement. Learning is celebrated in all its forms.
At the Woodlands Academy Scarborough we STRIVE to provide the best possible opportunities for ALL our pupils.
- Specialist provision (our staff are highly trained in a range of specialisms to meet the full range of needs and disabilities of those attending Woodlands
- Therapeutic (we ensure we support pupils learning through specialist interventions and therapies as required)
- Relationships (strong trusting relationships are crucial within the school community for students to feel secure and supported where staff do tasks with the pupils not for them)
- Independence training (Students are supported to become independent and discouraged from being dependent. They develop to be as independent as possible )
- Vision (We are working with parents, governors, students (current and former) and with a range of services to further develop the academy to enrich and develop children with SEND in all aspects of their lives both in and out of school.
- Exploring (Through where essential core skills are learnt through a meaningful curriculum which provides exciting motivating learning and life experiences which is inclusive of all pupils)