Abbey Hill Academy is part of Horizons Specialist Academy Trust who is at the forefront of current developments in the education of young people with special needs. We specialise in meeting the needs of students aged 11 to 19 who have a full range of learning disabilities.
Abbey Hill Academy educates approximately 300 students aged 11-19 with learning disabilities, complex and additional needs and autism. The Trust wishes to appoint a Speech and Language Therapist with relevant experience who will be responsible for providing a SALT service to the academy trust. The post holder will work as part of a multi-disciplinary team with teachers and support staff, including our educational psychologist, health professionals and stakeholders.
We are looking for an enthusiastic person who will have the patience and empathy to work with pupils with a whole range of needs and who is keen to ensure that all pupils reach their potential. This is an exciting opportunity for therapists interested in developing their experience with special educational needs within an educational setting.
The speech and language therapist has responsibilities which include:
- Promoting strategies to develop the awareness and understanding of the whole academy community around SLCN and effective communication and interaction
- Supporting and advising teachers and teaching assistants in order to create a Communication Friendly Environment throughout Abbey Hill
- Liaising with staff in order to identify students' communication strengths, needs and any specific interventions needed
- Providing support for identifying targets, and advice regarding bespoke communication strategies
- Providing specialist support and interventions for students who have been identified as having this need
Although there is an expectation that all our staff will work across the Trust as necessary, this post will be primarily based at our Abbey Hill Academy site
A visit to the school would be highly recommended. To arrange this and/or to obtain an application form and further information please e-mail Mrs Julie Povall on email@example.com or telephone 01642 664147
For an informal discussion, please email Sue Rowney Speech and Language Therapist on firstname.lastname@example.org or telephone 01642 281826/664139
Completed application forms should be returned by 4pm on the closing date by email to: email@example.com, Abbey Hill Academy, Ketton Road, Hardwick, Stockton-on-Tees, TS19 8BU