The school is committed to safer recruitment practice and this post is subject to an enhanced DBS disclosure.
The Trust wishes to appoint three care assistants to join our large support team at Abbey Hill Academy.
The posts are situated at Abbey Hill Academy which serves the needs of students with moderate and severe learning difficulties and autism and has approximately 300 students aged 11-19 located across three buildings.
The role will be based in the Stephenson Building working with students with profound and multiple learning difficulties and complex additional needs. The role involves working under the guidance of classroom teachers and learning support staff within an agreed system of supervision to implement agreed programmes of personal hygiene and care. Successful applicants will be required to work with individual students in and out of the classroom giving personal and practical assistance ensuring a caring and safe environment.
Duties will include:
- Supporting students with their personal care and hygiene specifically in relation to practical support for personal hygiene, toiletting and changing, dressing
- Assisting in the delivery of feeding programmes.
- Providing practical assistance in relation to other identified physical needs, ie transporting to and from classrooms, moving students in and out wheelchairs, standing frames etc using the appropriate equipment, using hoists and moving equipment when necessary
- Providing personal assistance to students in physical/practical activities eg. P.E, rebound, cookery, lunchtime activities, school outings.
- Ensuring all items involved in personal care of students are appropriately cleaned and stored.
- Supporting and supervising students during the break and lunchtime periods
- Working with the teacher to establish an appropriate learning environment
- Supporting students with sensory learning activities/programmes as directed by the classroom teacher
Experience of supporting children or adults within a care or school setting and experience of working with children or adults who have special educational needs and/or physical disabilities is essential.
Application forms and further details can be obtained from Abbey Hill Academy or by contacting Julie Povall 01642 677113 or by emailing Julie.email@example.com.
Completed application forms should be returned by 12 noon on Wednesday 3rd July 2019 to: Julie Povall, HR Clerk, Abbey Hill Academy, Ketton Road, Stockton-on-Tees. TS19 8BU or by email to firstname.lastname@example.org.