Abbey Hill Academy
Required as soon as possible
Horizons Specialist Academy Trust consists of six academies and one sixth form across the Tees Valley area serving a population of approximately 550 students aged 5 to 19 with a broad range of learning difficulties.
Abbey Hill Academy & Abbey Hill Academy 6th Form is “where amazing children do amazing things!” We specialise in meeting the needs of students aged 11 to 19 who have a full range of learning disabilities. The academy provides for approximately 308 young people aged 11 to 19 years who have learning difficulties, as well as other physical and special needs and autism.
The Trust wishes to appoint a Care Assistant to join our large support team at Abbey Hill Academy.
The role will involve working with students with profound and multiple learning difficulties and complex additional needs under the guidance of classroom teachers and learning support staff within an agreed system of supervision to implement programs of personal hygiene and care. The successful applicant will be required to work with individual students in and out of the classroom giving personal and practical assistance ensuring a caring and safe environment.
Duties will include:
• Supporting students with their personal care and hygiene specifically in relation to practical support for:
o Personal hygiene
o Toileting and changing
• Assisting in the delivery of feeding programs.
• Providing practical assistance in relation to other identified physical needs:
o Transporting to and from classrooms
o Moving students in and out wheelchairs, standing frames etc. using the appropriate equipment
o Using hoists and moving equipment when necessary
• Providing personal assistance to students in physical/practical activities eg. P.E, rebound, cookery, lunchtime activities, school outings.
• Ensuring all items involved in personal care of students are appropriately cleaned and stored.
• Supporting and supervising students during the break and lunchtime periods
• Working with the teacher to establish an appropriate learning environment
• Supporting students with sensory learning activities/programs as directed by the classroom teacher
Experience of supporting children or adults within a care or school setting and experience of working with children or adults who have special educational needs and/or physical disabilities is essential.
Application forms and further details can be obtained from Abbey Hill Academy or by contacting Julie Povall 01642 677113 or by emailing Julie.firstname.lastname@example.org.
Completed application forms should be returned to: Julie Povall, HR Clerk, Abbey Hill Academy, Ketton Road, Stockton-on-Tees, TS19 8BU or by email to email@example.com.
Horizons Specialist Academy Trust is committed to safeguarding and promoting the welfare of children. Any offer of employment will be subject to a satisfactory Enhanced DBS check and appropriate references.